Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Koh Tao Eating: Not here for the food

While the tiny island of Koh Tao may be a diving tropical paradise, it is not much of a foodie land. I guess you could say I got a bit spoiled in Bangkok. Catering to mostly tourists and long haul backpackers, Koh Tao's cuisine is limited. While mile long menus offering dishes from every continent to satisfy the needs of home sick or unadventurous travellers are available at almost every restaurant, the dishes are lacking authentic flavor and originality. We all gotta eat though so...

One of the more positive comments I can make about Koh Tao dining is that while the food may not be anything special, the view from many of the restaurants certainly makes up for any deficits. My family and I had dinner one night at a restaurant that was perched up on stilts above the ocean. We sat at low tables on little cushions and enjoyed the sea breeze while we ate our dinner.
 
I've already expressed my dislike of pad thai but the menu at this
particular restaurant was limited so I opted for the standard dish.
It was YUCKY and sopping in sweet greasy sauce.

The view from the beach side restaurant was beautiful though...

I had to take a photo of this sign at the restaurant.
Funny but sad

By the color of the next couple photographs I'm sure you can tell
this is from another restaurant

Can't go wrong with a Thai iced coffee

Coconut drink

Penang curry

Banana fritters and ice cream