Friday, February 3, 2012

The Bauernschmaus Restaurant

Cusine: German
Location: 6796 99 St NW

Despite our love affair with Continental Treat, Coel and I decided to try out another popular European restaurant in the city for dinner. Unsuspectingly nestled along the more so industrial area of 99th St, the Bauernschmaus is a little piece of a stereotypicaly German chalet in the middle of the city.



For dinner we decided to start with the fried cauliflower and mushrooms (6$). I've never had fried cauliflower or mushrooms before, despite being some of my two favorite veggies. They were awesome. Simple as that. They were almost meaty and had a nice fried crispy batter. My only complaint was that they could have benefited from some sort of dip. Other then that we loved them and I'd go back just for it again.

Cauliflower and mushroom


For our entrees Coel ordered the parmashnitzle (19$) and I had the jagershnitzle (18$). The parmashnitzle was a fried pork schnitzel with a Parmesan batter served with steamed carrots and your choice of side (dumpling, fries, Viennese pasta, and potatos). Coel opted for the dumping which came out huge and chewy and yummy. My jager schnitzel was a sauteed thinly pounded piece of pork with a mushroom and green pepper sauce. I thought I was going to get a fried schnitzel and was slightly disappointed when I realized it wasn't deep fried, but it was good nevertheless. Both meals came with a salad and scoop of potato salad. That salad and potato salad I must say was probably the best part of the meal. I have no idea what dressing they use but Coel and I agreed it was really good.

Parma minus the carrots

jager

salad

The Bauernschmaus Restaurant on Urbanspoon