Sunday, January 22, 2012

Continental Treat

Cuisine: Eastern European
Location: Whyte Ave

Continental Treat was one of those places I have walked by every time I was on Whyte and never gave a second thought to. For those who have yet to go and have walked by it many times I am sure you know what I mean. However, my time finally came to visit this restaurant on New Years Eve when I decided to book reservations here after failed attempts at getting reservations at many of Edmonton's booked up fine dining places. After reading multiple good reviews and checking out the menu online, I crossed my fingers that this place would deliver a romantic warm New Years Eve dinner. Thankfully I was right. They even gave us complimentary champagne at midnight, definitely a plus.

While in interior of the restaurants could do with some renovations, the aged look of the inside make Continental romantic and exciting. Dim lights, white table clothes, antique furniture here and there, dark worn wood, candle lit tables, fireplace, all features of Continental that in my opinion made it a great date night place.

I am always happy when a restaurants online menu is up to date, as was Continentals. Therefore I already had the chance to choose what I wanted to eat before hand. However, as I was sitting there I STILL had trouble choosing between the schnitzel, goulash, and this mushroom spatzle dish. We found enough things on the menu that we desperately wanted to try that we decided that we had to make sure to come back again to try it all out. For NYE dinner we decided on the mushroom and cheese spatzle(23$ and the Vienna pork chops (24$) I think it was called and both started with a cup of their famous dill pickle soup (4$).

As many before me have raved about, the dill pickle soup was a must. I don't even know how to describe it, therefore I suggest you just go try some for yourself. The mushroom with spatzle was to die for. It was creamy, filled with mushrooms, and the spatzle (German noodles) had a bit of a crisp to it on the sides that just great. The chopped pickled beets that came on the side was really good too, I could eat it alone. The pork chops  were cooked perfectly and came with a sausage and mushroom gravy, very good. Awesome food, large portions and very reasonable prices.

After such a good first experience we just had to go back to try more things on the menu. This time we both chose the dill pickle soup (4$) again and the schnitzel (veal and chicken) 19$ with a side of potato salad or pan roasted potatoes and cabbage and beet salad. Result: large piece of schnitzel, great side salad, simple and very filling.

The resturants weakness when it comes to food however is probably their desserts. They have a rather uninspiring dessert menue and tried their layered torte and were not really impressed. However, not all was lost considering we had a great meal and desset can be found elsewhere on Whyte.

Schnitzel. Sorry for the poor photo quality, I really didn't want to draw attention to myself by using flash in a dark
 restaurant during dinner time lol


Continental Treat on Urbanspoon